Plaids and checks were a strong force on the runways for fall 2016. From tartans to Glen plaids and windowpanes, check prints in large and miniature variations and even houndstooth, it was clear that designers were having fun with bold and sometimes even complex patterns.
Not just for flannel shirts anymore, this season plaids and checks are adding depth and interest to everything from jackets and sweaters to outerwear and cocktail dresses. Even fur is getting the treatment with intricate intarsia designs.
Subtle in pastels or bold in bright colors or the sharp contrast of black and white, embellished with gems or enriched with alppliqués, the plaids and checks of this season are sure to turn heads. Let’s face it, they just add a dose of buzzy energy to most looks.
Beyond the drama they add to your wardrobe, the power of plaids and checks comes in their versatility. Pairing your plaid with solids in a range of complimentary colors allows you to create a wide assortment of different looks. Plaids and checks bring the perfect punch to solid wardrobe staples.
So this season, don’t be shy. Embrace the power of plaids and checks and amp up your style.
- Colorful florals and showing your bra: the key trends from New York Fashion Week
- Marc Jacobs sparkles as NY Fashion Week wraps up
- Three key beauty notes to take from New York Fashion Week, including the two products you need to put on your shopping list for spring
- Mad for Plaid: Do You Know Your Tartan from Your Tattersall?
- Standout New York Fashion Week trends: shirtdresses, flare for the leg and a serious orange crush
- Winning Style: American Sportswear | FurInsider.com
- NYFW Spring/Summer 2017 Collection Reviews Part 4 | FurInsider.com
- Stepping Into Fall: Best Shoes for Fall 2016